Friday, September 08, 2006

couplings..........



I have found that the original couplings are difficult to 'hook-unhook' and much prefer the old magnetic ones.

A case of over-engineering by Tomy, in trying to make them fool-proof they inadvertantly made them child-proof which defeats the object.

To get around this I've started to 'clip' off a part of the 'thumb' which meets the hook and almost closes it, using a nail clipper or similar. this allows easy hooking-unhooking but doesn't come loose in play (often). The real trucks in the Thomas stories often come undone too... so the kids won't mind.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have contacted Tomy US and received a word doc that you can order the hook type and the double F connectors, also some other bits. little hands tend to pull them apart, breaking the long part of the hook, at least thats what Ive found

DFBurger
Hazel Park, MI

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can now buy magnetic couplers from Tomy UK spares and retro fit them to the newer engines and chassis. They are about £4 for a set of 4 pairs (enough to do 4 x carriages / engines).

I was not sure if they would fit the newer style trains but I've fitted them to a new Thomas set and the result is a much happier daughter when playing with the sets. It will probably save me money in the long run because they don't get 'yanked' apart now. I've got to get on and do all the other trains and carriages we have now so I'm going to need about 7-8 more sets of couplers!

5:19 PM  
Blogger Ryan Lim said...

I was just thinking. Is there any way to turn the hook upside down like how it really is in the series? and fix it in a manner like what is shown in the show?

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home