Sunday, September 10, 2006

locomotive repairs.........





I have found that the new range of trains are not as robust as the older Tomy ones.
In the rush to make things smaller, cheaper or quicker, quality sometimes falls by
the way-side. The old saying goes "something can always be made a little
cheaper...... and a little worse".





A common problem with the battery driven engines is that when the batteries run out
little hands try to push them along instead. Which is OK if the switch is set to
'off', otherwise the gears and cogs are still engaged and damage can result. This
can quite often be easily repaired by the following method...

first unscrew the two screws holding the motor onto the chassis......... the wheels on their axle will then fall from the clips under the motor.
You will probably find that the little gear cog on the axle shaft will turn on the shaft fairly easily.... which it shouldn't. So you slide the cog along the axle shaft and you can now see the knurled part of the shaft which should hold the cog firm. By forcing the train along when the gears were still engaged has caused the knurling to act like a file and remove some of the plastic cog so that the two no longer hold together tightly.
Slide the cog back and forth along the shaft whilst wiping with a tissue, try to remove all the oil or grease on the shaft, a little alcohol or thinner may help. When clean and dry apply super glue to the knurls and slide the cog back into place on top of the knurled part.
Re-assemble and you should be good to go.....
Trying to teach the 'little hands' is probably a tougher job.

10 Comments:

Blogger PrawnKing said...

besides doing this.. have you managed to find any replacement gear for it...????

10:29 AM  
Blogger fred said...

no...I haven't really looked around

12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any ideas or photos on how to put back together the engine?
I took my sons apart to remove some hair and now it won't work :(

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when assembling the motor (white block) to the chassis....make sure you get the metal prong in the right place...it connects with one of the battery terminals...tucks behind it I think

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi prawnking

saw your postings elsewhere abt knowing particular jp shops that do international mail order. care to share?

Regards

7:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Fred

Are things ok? Didnt see any postings from you in this blog for a while.

Any suggestion what to do if the metal contacts of the train engine got damaged / melted through due to battery leakage?

2 sets already suffered this fate.

Any advice?

Regards

7:04 AM  
Blogger fred said...

http://hobbyworld.aoshima-bk.co.jp/eindex.asp

they are the Japanese firm I use.... look for 'plarail'


as for loco repairs...best to buy old stuff from ebay and use them for parts

my boy's bedroom is not free now so I have nowhere to build my huge layouts at the moment, so haven't been able to leave any new stuff here

11:57 PM  
Blogger GrangeSquashClub said...

Brilliant, thanks a lot. I just fixed a James engine+tender using your help.
I had a Gordon+tender which had a slightly different problem - the rotor cog transferring the drive from the screw cog to the axle cog had it's teeth worn down (lots of plastic dust in the compartment) and superglue would not be the correct solution - I managed to find a similar cog on a broken Maxim Motorized wooden toy train and that solved the cog slippage.

(Of course I then broke the wire soldering the batter to the motor terminal ;-( )

re: the comment about battery contacts being corroded, use some crimp connectors.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hya was hoping you could help I've dug my tomy euro park out the loft to sell it and it has 3 of the battery operated trains with it but all 3 trains aren't working completely dead can tbey be fixed the whole train set is complete just the trains don't work thank you

8:13 PM  
Anonymous John Bessa said...

One from the archives! I got into plarail because of a nearly-free set at the thrift (joshua group). The C-battery loco is awsome, it pulls all the cars I have on blue track, and pulls most of them on Thomas wooden track! (I have video)

The design is nice, you can pull the drive wheel off, which is where the bad stuff happened for me. There was so much hair (and other fibre) that I thought it had a super thin wire until I put my close up glasses on (where did the wire go?)

There are no wires, just contacts, so taking it apart and putting it back together solves most problems.

Jennifer, if you still have the trains, I might be interested (based on my luck so far)

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home